Blue Mountain Minerals dolomite calcium carbonate limestone aglime agricultural
limestone, magnesium, drain rock, poultry grit
Blue Mountain Minerals Tuolumne County California sand and gravel aggregate filler road base
drain rock, aglime agricultural limestone dolomite
Row crops benefit from
agricultural limestone amendments
to the soil
Agricultural Limestone Improves Soil Health:
- Raises pH/neutralizes acidity: pH is the "acidity" of the soil and is measured by the number of hydrogen ions present in the soil. When the pH is too "acidic" (low pH), nutrients present in the soil become locked up or unavailable, killing good bacteria and other beneficial micro-organisms. Increasing soil pH improves the availability and absorption of essential nutrients for the plant.
Agricultural limestone revitalizes the soil by neutralizing acidity and increasing calcium levels. It also lowers toxic levels of aluminum and manganese.
- Growth of beneficial soil micro-organisms: Limestone improves the growth environment of soil bacteria, allowing for microbial decomposition activity that breaks the soil content down into available nutrients for the plant. The increased availability and absorption of essential plant nutrients is beneficial to healthy bacterial activity.
- Augments fertilizer treatments: Limestone can be applied the same time with fertilizer. Expensive fertilizers are not effective if the soil is acidic. Liming will neutralize this acidity by raising the pH level (number of hydrogen ions) of the soil. Liming the soil is a basic requirement for soil fertility.
- Improves soil efficiency Limestone improves the exchange capacity of organic and inorganic soil colloids. The plants are able to use water, CO2, nitrogen and mineral nutrients with greater efficiency and absorbency.
- Improves soil texture: Limestone makes phosphorus and micronutrients more available through the soil. A balanced soil equilibrium will regulate and manage the quality and availability of all mineral elements needed by growing plants. Calcium molecules help separate the layers of silicon clay (flocculation). Limestone increases calcium levels, permitting improved water penetration and absorption for acidic soils.
- Carbon dioxide availability: Limestone helps increase the availability of carbon dioxide, which is more important for high crop yields than nitrogen or any mineral element. The supply in the atmosphere depends on the soil decay system to replenish its supply. Without the beneficial effects of calcium in the soil system and its effect on soil structure and tilth, the processes are inefficient.